Monday, January 30, 2017

Cabin Fever?

January has come and now the month is almost gone.  It came with a blast of winter weather having both the beauty and inconvenience of layered snow and cold temperatures in Eastern Oregon.  Folks were digging out and also digging in to combat heavy snow on the outside and keeping the house warm on the inside.  It was a time when you left water taps open to avoid pipes freezing and turned up the house thermostat.  Stacked firewood was put to the test to feed wood stoves in many homes  for a cozy warmth.  It was a time when a person thought twice about going anywhere because of the snow and ice hazards on the road.  It was a time for cabin fever! 

What exactly is cabin fever??  It is a term used to describe feelings of restlessness, boredom, impatience brought on by being stuck indoors for an extended period.  Most of us have experienced cabin fever at one time or another.  However, I was able to grab my camera, put on a heavy jacket and boots and take a short walk.  My goal was to look for a photo opportunity as a cabin fever therapy!!  I'd like to share a few pictures with you....



The below photo was taken of a herd of elk that had gathered on a distant hillside.  The snow and cold had driven them to a lower elevation in search of feed.  Yes, tough weather on animals as well.  I had to use the camera zoom for a closer view since they were some distance away, causing a little loss in picture clarity, but I was happy for the camera shot anyway.


This is one of my favorite photos of Jim as he is fights the elements in daily feeding chores, which is a normal winter occurrence.  Anyone with livestock knows that it is part of the job to keep animals fed and well throughout the winter season.....


As we move into February with warmer temperatures and a promise of Spring to come, 2017 rolls along unfolding days with its surprises as well as the familiar in our life's journey.

Until we meet again at The Turn-Up Patch on Monday, February 13, I leave you with an interesting quote by Steve Southerland... "I believe in process.  I believe in four seasons.  I believe that winter's tough, but spring's coming.  I believe that there's a growing season.  And I think that you realize that in life, you grow.  You get better."

 




1 comment:

  1. We felt bad for the critters struggling in this long cold season. Paul bought alfalfa hay for the deer & they became quickly spoiled as I added carrots, potatoes and apples to the mix. Pretty soon they were up to the Motel door begging with those big brown eyes & soft noses! We also went through several bags of wild bird seed to help the birds get through
    ( the deer helped themselves to seed also where I tossed seed around under the canopy after the mounted feeder ran dry.
    Paul also worried about the elk north of here along the river where the snow was so deep. We even tossed some flecks of hay to them where we could, although I wasn't sure how successful an endeavor that was! really looking forward to spring this year!

    ReplyDelete